Martha and Mary sought solace from Jesus over the death of Lazarus. The Lazarus Ministry seeks to bring together caring members of St. Bartholomew’s parish family to support those dealing with the recent death of a family member.
- Bring comfort to the bereaved. No one at St. Bart’s should grieve alone.
- Explain the Rites of Christian Burial. Our Christian faith is here to help support us when dealing with the death of a loved one.
- Provide follow-up support. After the burial, when everyone resumes a normal routine, the feeling of loss grows stronger. The Lazarus Ministry reaches out to the bereaved by sending a follow-up “thinking of you” card.
The Services We Provide
- Offer immediate support to the family after a death through a phone call and the offer of a home visit.
- Lend a sympathetic ear, answer questions, assess immediate, urgent needs, if any. Lead family in short prayer service if desired.
- Help personalize the funeral mass by assisting the family with selection of readings, hymns, gift bearers, etc. Coordinate with music director.
- Provide support to priest and family during funeral mass (assist family with logistics during mass, act as lectors and/or Eucharistic ministers if needed).
- Send follow-up contact 3 months after funeral.
- Create and send out personalized All Souls Mass invitations to all families who have experienced a death in the previous year.
- Refer family to Bereavement Ministry and/or other professional organization as required.
View All Parish Service Ministries
View All Parish Ministries